Welcome

The family and friends of Cpl. Daniel C. W. Riley, USMC, welcome you to join in as we celebrate and support the life of an incredible young man, friend, son, and brother. It is with great love and with many prayers we know that Daniel will move on to great and wonderful things. God has big plans for him! Daniel was born in Victoria, BC, Canada. In 1999 his family (Dad, Mum, brothers Tristan and Aaron, & sister Elizabeth, & cat) moved to Denver, Colorado, where his dad began working for the Episcopal Church in Colorado overseeing work with children, youth, and young adults. Daniel started high school in 1999 at Columbine High School. After three years at CHS he finished his high school at Brentwood College in Canada in 2004. After which he did some college and worked in the US and Canada. Daniel enlisted (still a Canadian citizen) in US Marine Corps in 2008 to serve his new country and to help pay for a future college education. On July 4, 2009 Daniel swore in as a US citizen before the Vice-President in Sadam Hussein's old palace in Bagdad, Iraq. In September 2010 he was sent as a combat replacement for the 2/6 Marines in Marjah, Afghanistan. On December 16, 2010, Daniel was severely wounded by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED). He primarily suffered severe wounds to his legs, left arm, and left lung. There were many times he was close to not making it. He has since had both legs amputated above the knee and three fingers amputated on his left hand. His lung and other injuries are healing well. Before this event and for many years to come, we know Daniel to be a loving, caring, intellegent, humourous, giving, adventurous, and deep thinking person. Keep praying! And use this blog to share your thoughts and encouragement.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Enough time off and back to work...

After two weeks back in Colorado, I think for the first time ever I was actually anxious and excited to get back from leave. I guess that being able to get up walking again will do that. Not that being back home (sorta??) wasn't great. Started the trip having a chance to see my brother graduate high school and turn 18, in turn just making me feel old. Bookending the trip was Danielathon, which turned out to be a great time. Thanks to Caitlin and all the other that help make it such a good time. It was great seeing everyone, even if i didn't have near enough time to spend individually (next time I guess). Even in the chaos of my family packing up a house around me I managed to relax a little bit.
However once back into San Diego, it was straight back to appointments this week, and a long week it was. Looking forward to a great deal of time walking,with my sockets fitting well, and no other priorities I got my first full week in. Both prosthetics and physical therapy had me doing endless laps in the parallel bars and with solo-step (basically strapping me in a harness and attaching it to the ceiling). I still barely know what i'm doing, and every muscle in my body is burningly sore. Nevertheless it felt unbelievable to be up and working on it. Not that the week was without difficulty, I did manage to have a hell of time going through methadone withdrawals. It is a necessary evil, but definitely a made for a rough week (for evidence ask Aaron or my dad). Of course adding to the pain was watching the Canucks lose Games 3 and 4. But at least the Game 5 win matched my better mood nearing the end of thee week, now if could just forget my body is aching I'd be good.

9 comments:

  1. Yay Daniel! Way to post!!! :) Glad you had a week in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you Daniel. You are doing wonderfully well. Take care, Diane Grisdale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been following this blog for a while now. It is great to hear from you, Daniel, in your own words. You and dad could combine to make a great book. I would buy it. Keep up the good work. Keep on inspiring us (through the good and the tough).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley,

    I have been following this blog with excitement and joy. Continue pushing and I hope to see you in the future.

    -SSgt J

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are with you in spirit, Daniel. We know that you can surmount any challenge that comes your way. Celebrate each success. Courage, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to Danielthon, but I'm glad to hear that you're back up and working. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, I have been praying for you and your family since my son Stanley (from your regiment in Camp Lejeune) told me of your injuries. I pray for you and your family as often as I can and am amazed at your progress! Stanley will be coming to Pendleton this summer and maybe he can visit when he gets settled. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us informed.
    barb fritz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about the Canucks :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel, it was wonderful getting to see you and talk with you. I love your spirit; it's an encouragement to me! It is great that you are now able to focus on regaining your mobility. Seeing how you approach things with a steadfast determination, I have little doubt that you will master your new form of ambulation in no time at all. Also, I'm glad that your folks will be there for the process and to celebrate with you!

    I continue to pray for you and have added Tristan to my list (as well as your whole family).

    Yours in Christ, Colin

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.